6th Jun, 2022

Updates on this site

I used the day to make some updates to the site that I wanted to do for a while now.

No more webfonts

I removed all webfonts from the site. It now uses Trebuchet MS for almost all texts (except for code lines, which are set in Courier New).

I thought about this for a while now. Currently, I try to simplify my life in a lot of areas, both digital and analog. Having no webfonts on this site sounded like a good idea in terms of simplicity. I still have this thought in the back of my head though, that a website with a good design has to be fancy. But I think you can also look at design this way: Good design provides the best outcome based on the restrictions it has. So for this site, the restriction is no webfonts. And for that, I think the design works well.

This also has the nice effect that I now have a score of 100 on Pagespeed insights.

So, except for utteranc.es that I installed as a test, this site uses no external resources.
Well, that's not the whole truth.

A thousands words is a lot of words

I (finally) set up a system to use images in here. I'm using an S3 Bucket for storage with a CloudFront distribution on top. I'm curious how much I'll have to pay up at the end of the month. Also, I still do not like the experience of the AWS console.

© 2024 Chris Jarling